Friday, June 3, 2011

CX racing

I had a day in lieu in credit which I took off today, I was hoping to get out for a ride with Gavin but that didn't work out.

I had breakfast with my Dad and then after he left to go home I went up to Brunswick velodrome to help the Dirty Deeds boys set up for the prologue.

The racing was held under lights, heats of about 20 in each, one juniors (so cute, the youngest rider was 4), 2 open categories (mtb), and 4 CX.  I was in the last CX category and the course was well and truly ripped up by the time I went around.  Only 2 barriers, one sand trap and 2 mudpits, I managed to stay upright the whole way around but the boys were taking it way more seriously this year and they were very aggressive.

The boys from during the day were cheering for me which was lovely but I did end up getting psyched out.  I was scared of the roadies coming around on top of me as I struggle to hold a line through the mud.  I ended up pulling off and waiting for them to go past which seemed to be the sensible thing to do.

My gear was waaayy too big and getting through the mud was hard work so I was impressed that I didn't bin it.

I had another 6 races to wait before my second go around and after a quick call to my coach (Jen) I decided to pull out and go home.

The handicap meant that I would have had to go out first and then wait for the guys to come over the top of me and the extra 6 races would have only made the mud more treacherous.

I don't often call it quits on something so I'm kind of feeling grumpy with myself but also sensible.  Weird feeling.  Still great fun.  Not many hipsters this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment