Saturday, June 4, 2011

Feeling good enough for a TT

AM

Fi was planning on running 33km by herself this morning and I just couldn't allow that to happen.  For a start, that's a really long way with no company, second, she's been with me on too many of my long runs for me to leave her go it alone and third, that would be a PB for her and I wanted to be there to celebrate it!

I had alot of adrenaline post CX, and didn't get to sleep until very late and then woke up at 3am.   I was up early and sent Fi a txt to let her know I was on my way.  I packed what I thought was my clean bike into the car and gathered all my winter bike kit along with my sopping wet shoes which I'd cleaned by hosing them off.

We met at Albert Park and I planned to run out for 5km then head back to the car to get changed and then follow Fi on the bike.  We both must have been pretty tired because when you think about it, that's not really a very good plan.

I was happy that I felt really energetic and lightish on my feet for the run.  We were averaging about 5 40 pace and it felt good, 5 kms passed quickly and I turned around at Chapel St.  I kept the same pace back to Albert Park but walked up Anderson as my legs still don't feel great on the hills. 

Back at the car, I was sweaty and the car fogged up which gave me some privacy to get changed.  No baring my bum on the street today!

Winter gear on and I was off on the bike, going hard because I didn't want to leave Fi by herself for any longer than necessary.  Back to the river, along to the flat boulevard where I pushed it into the absolute red zone, I don't think I've ever ridden that section as fast.  I was expecting to find Fi on Bridge Rd, but no she wasn't there, I kept the pace up all the way back to Fed Sq, and along St Kilda Rd to Albert Park.   I was getting quite worried by this stage, still no Fi.   I was also dripping with sweat from going as hard as I could in all my winter gear. 

Around Albert Park twoways and still no Fi, I was really shattered by now but still pushing the pace, I stopped for a gel and kept going where I headed down to Beach Rd.

Huh? You say.  Beach Rd?  Yeah, Beach Rd.  On a Saturday.  On a SS. By myself.

YOWSERS!

Here I went back into red zone as I was trying to not get in the way of the bunches, with looking for Fi left and right, keeping an ear out for 'riders back' and dodging cars I forgot to check out the legs of all of the bunches except for one.  What a waste!  You won't find me back down there on a bike in a hurry!

Still no Fi.  I thought I'd missed her, and was sad that I hadn't done a very good job of keeping her company.  I had stories that I wanted to share as well.

Halfway up Fitzroy St I FINALLY spotted my beautiful friend.  I was very happy to find her!  I was smashed, my legs were so sore from my ITT and I really was bone tired.  Fi looked great, 2 thumbs up from her, still striding strong and making sense. 

She only had 3kms to go so we caught up just in time.  I realised how wet from sweat I was when I slowed down and I was freezing. 

Around the lake and Fi hit her PB.  Well done Fi!  You look strong, you're fit and fast and you're going to have a ball at the marathon.  I'm so lucky to have you to share miles with and I feel priveliged to have hit this milestone with you.  You're special and precious and I appreciate our hours together and the laughs we've shared.

At breakfast, I fell asleep at the table.  I did some errands and came home where I properly cleaned the stinky mud off my bike and did some gardening.  I fell asleep at about 2.30 and woke up just before 6pm.  I knew I'd smashed it. 

Run 10km
Bike 38km

No comments:

Post a Comment