Sunday, April 17, 2011

Unspoken Racing

A gorgeous autumn day in Melbourne had me itching to get on my bike.

I headed up to the Boulevard and was having fun cruising up and down, it was so beautiful up there today.  I don't often get up there any time other than sunrise so it was just gorgeous looking at everything in quite literally a different light.

I'd noticed that I was pacing off one particular fella.  He'd pull ahead of me and then I'd overtake him on the next hill and vice versa.  I wasn't really paying too much attention to him as I was checking out the scenery, that was until I went to pass him on a climb and he attacked to stop me from getting past.

Hmmm, that smelt like competition and at any whiff of competition, I"M OFF! 

Soon we were both going full tilt, he'd attack, then I would and we traded 'the lead' a few times. Neither of us said a word or acknowledged the other but we both knew what was going on.  I was working hard and so was he.

Then, as he came up behind me on a descent, he said ' Hang on, you don't have any gears on that bike.  I thought you were just being cheeky but I've just been checking out your bike and couldn't believe it.  Wow, you're amazing!'

I said thanks and we talked about what a gorgeous day it was.  He'd been riding up Donna Buang on Friday and was loving the warmer weather today. 

By this stage we were at the flat over the freeway and with a laugh he took off and said 'Now you can chase me up the next hill!'  I couldn't keep up with him on the flat so he got quite a bit of a lead, I couldn't pull it back on the next hill and I knew there was only one climb left.  (the one that has the pipe bridge at the bottom of it).

I'd been giving my legs a good talking to, and with one more COME ON LEGS I gave it everything I had.  Red line, vomit in the back of my throat, quads screaming.  come on, come on,  come on.  Almost at the top.

And with probably two pedal strokes left I just got my wheel in front of his.  HAH!

As we scooted down to the Guide Dogs he wanted to go back around again, but I was done.  I rolled very slowly home and then had a nap.  Such fun times.

PM

Jeff's without Jeff @ Jen's

25 m
Usual Tues warm up x 2
cossack side lunge x 2
lunge arms to outside of feet

5kg plate
walking lunge x 4
duck walk x 4
jump squat x 4

16kg kettlebell all, rest in prone push up position 1 minute duration for all
goblet squat
rest
backwards lunge
rest
OA swing
rest
OA swing
rest
jump lunge
rest
jerk
rest
jerk
rest
jump squat
rest
round the world push up walk x 2

Forearm and grip work 10 minutes (ouch)

Pretty good effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment